Updated: Mar 29, 2022
If you're looking for the perfect morning snack to enjoy with your coffee, you found it! These scones are soooo good with chunks of fresh apples and crunchy nuts throughout with hints of warm spices. The cinnamon glaze drizzled on top adds the perfect amount of sweetness on top.
Prep time: 10 minutes
Bake time: 20-23 minutes
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/4 brown sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 large eggs
2 cups all purpose flour
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 Tbsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp pumpkin spice or nutmeg
1/2 tsp salt
3 Tbsp chilled butter
2 cups diced apples, peeled
1/4 cup walnuts (optional)
1 cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 Tbsp milk
1. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl. Then, combine the dry ingredients in another bowl. Dice the apples and cut butter in very small chunks.
2. Add butter to flour mixture and mix into flour with your fingers or a pastry blender. Then, add the apples and walnuts.
3. Combine the flour mixture with the wet ingredients and mix until there’s almost no loose flour at the bottom.
4. Scoop mixture onto a floured surface, sprinkle a little flour on top, and knead about 6-8 times. Flatten the mixture into a circle shape until about 1” thick.
5. Cut the circle into 8 pieces and place in an oiled or parchment covered pan.
6. Bake for 20-23 minutes and then let cook for 10. Meanwhile, make the icing and drizzle on scones or dip the tops of the scones into the icing (depends how sweet you want) and serve!
Scones were always my favourite snack to get a bakery or cafe along with a good latte and some homework to finish. Since most of the cafes are closed to indoor dining currently, I wanted to be able to bring this little treat home and I'm glad I did!
Thanks for reading. I hope you try these out and let me know how it goes! If you post a picture, make sure to tag me or #emsprairiekitchen.