Homemade Tortilla Chips and Guacamole
Updated: Mar 30, 2022
I think we're all at the point of the winter when we wish we could just take off to somewhere warmer and relaxed, perhaps Mexico or somewhere in the Caribbean. I made this little appetiser to help me pretend that I was there instead of in -45 here in Saskatchewan. It helped temporarily, but what else can you ask for right now? Anyway, these chips are a good weekend afternoon snack that go perfect with my chunky, creamy, and fresh guacamole.
Note: You can enjoy the guacamole with bought tortilla chips or oven-cooked tortillas as well, but these have a good salty, oily, crunch to them!
Serves: 2-4 as an appetizer
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cook time: 3-4 minutes per batch of chips, 10-15 minutes altogether.
5 small flour tortillas (can use corn if preferred)
3/4 cup canola oil
1 ripe avocado
1/3 small Roma tomato, chopped
1 Tbsp chopped onion (or 1 tsp onion powder)
1/2 tsp garlic powder
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Tbsp sea salt
1/2 tsp lemon/lime juice
Optional sides: salsa, sour cream, hummus
Make the tortillas chips:
1. Heat a pan to medium heat and add the oil. Meanwhile, cut tortillas into 6 pie pieces.
2. When the oil is heated, add enough tortillas to cover the surface of the oil, cook each side for 1-2 minutes until just crispy.
3. When done, transfer chips to a plate with paper towel to drain the oil. Sprinkle sea salt on chips. Cook the rest of the chips in batches.
Make the guacamole:
1. Cut the avocado in half and take the pit out. Scoop the avocado out and transfer to small bowl. Mash with a fork to desired consistency (I like mine a little chunky).
2. Chopped tomato and onion and add to the avocado.
3. Add the garlic powder, cayenne pepper, onion powder (if using), and a squeeze of lime/lemon juice to avocado and combine all ingredients.
You can always add more to your guacamole like jalapeños, mango, cilantro, or sesame seeds to change it up!
You can double or triple the recipe to serve more.
Make these for your next game day or just to change up your weekend snack! Feel free to send pictures or post them to Instagram or Facebook and be sure to tag me or use the hashtag #emsprairiekitchen .
Hope you enjoy!